Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Come On In, the Porter's Fine!

It looks like the beer I started these experiments, the Robust Porter, has reached the levels of flavor, aroma, and overall character that I was looking for.  It took 4 batches, and there still may be some minor tweaks to increase head retention, mouthfeel, and yeast character, but these are all process-driven things that can be worked out as I switch to brewing on the larger system.

The beer pours black with a ruby highlight, building a thin tan head that dissipates shortly after the first few sips.  The aroma is all roast, beautiful, beautiful roast with a VERY mild hint of chocolate.  The flavor is roast-forward with notes of dark chocolate and a dry finish.  The sharpness and harshness on the tongue are gone, but for a slight "burnt toast" note, which is pleasant and welcome in the beer.

I would still like my brewing partner to give it a shot before I make a final decision, but methinks I may be drinking this one out of a 5 gallon keg pretty damn soon.  I'll also use one or two of the bottles I have chilling to try out some adjunct flavors, such as coffee and bourbon, to see what happens.

The IPA is the next tasting, and the Brown is the next brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment