Friday, June 29, 2012

What Now?

As the title suggests, I'm a bit stuck as to what to do with this Porter.  Don't get me wrong, its good, just not great.  Its a dry, true-to-style, robust porter, with no hot alcohols, just the right touch of hop flavor, and a deep, rich mouthfeel.  The Black Patent malt seems to be at the right level, giving some sharpness, but not enough to call it astringent or harsh.  I think it needs just a touch of something else...but what?

Crystal 40? Chocolate?  They are the only components that will have the effect on the character I feel is missing from the beer.  Maybe the 40, which would make it more caramely (is that a word?); Maybe the chocolate, which would add some richness and...well...chocolate flavor, but that can build on the harshness that just lingers beneath the surface in this style.

I really have no idea.  I guess I'll just have to start with the Crystal, taste it, and go from there.  Its a really good beer though, so at least I'm getting close.

No comments:

Post a Comment